In 2023, four Superior Court trials, four victories:
- Prevailed in will contest in the Santa Clara County Superior Court saving the four children of a decedent from being completely disinherited.
- Prevailed in contested action to cancel deed and quiet title, eliminating an erroneous deed that was being exploited by an ex-husband.
- Successfully defended action for fraudulent inducement of the conveyance of real property, with a complete defense verdict.
- When the defendant in an action for partition of real property demanded a jury trial on the defendant’s cross-complaint, obtained a unanimous jury verdict denying any recovery on the cross-complaint after a nine day trial.
- Obtained a federal court jury verdict recovering client’s losses resulting from an accountant’s breach of fiduciary duty and violation of securities laws in rendering financial advice.
- Obtained a federal court jury verdict in a wrongful death action, by proving negligence per se.
- Obtained a jury verdict holding a bank president personally liable for promises of continued financing made to a real estate investor.
- Obtained jury verdict for $1.7 million in an action for intentional infliction of emotional distress, including an award of punitive damages.
- Obtained jury verdict based on intentional infliction of emotional distress by a co‑worker.
- Obtained jury verdict based on employment discrimination for taking pregnancy leave.
- Brought action against operator of a toxic waste site and obtained a substantial global settlement on behalf of numerous homeowners.
- After the case was fully prepared for trial, settled claims for elder abuse, trespass and nuisance, on behalf of a 93 year old woman, for $450,000, based on strong evidence obtained through discovery and independent investigation.
Defense of Litigation
- Successfully defended California computer company in a jury trial in Mobile, Alabama, against one of that city’s prominent law firms.
- Obtained jury verdict for restaurant owner rejecting a plaintiff’s personal injury claims based on an alleged failure to provide adequate security.
- Prevailed in post appeal re‑trial of the case of McClain v. Octagon Plaza, LLC (2008) 159 Cal.App.4th 784, defeating all claims of fraud.
- Successfully defended an architect in an action filed by another architect who had been his partner in a failed development project, and obtained a $716,000 judgment on a cross-complaint against the ex-partner, including an award of punitive damages.
- Obtained defense verdict quieting title to client’s real property and rejecting claims based on an alleged oral trust in the property.
- Successfully defended an attorney in a trial of alleged fraud claims made by a former business associate. As a result of the favorable verdict, a Pennsylvania State Bar disciplinary proceeding against the attorney, instigated by the former associate, was dismissed.
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of metals import-export company in action for breach of contract and fraud by a Taiwanese steel manufacturer.
Probate and Trust Litigation
- Obtained a judgment recovering real properties for the heirs of an estate in an action for cancellation of deeds based on lack of capacity, fraud and undue influence, including an award of punitive damages.
- Saved children of a decedent from being disinherited by prevailing in the trial of a will contest based on lack of capacity and undue influence.
- Obtained a judgment in the Superior Court of San Joaquin County removing and replacing the trustee of a trust for unfair dealings, on behalf of clients who were beneficiaries of a trust being administered by a relative in Stockton.
- Obtained a verdict recovering the home of a victim of elder abuse after he was induced to sell the property for an inadequate price.
- Obtained an injunction to prevent the foreclosure of a decedent’s real property by the holder of a reverse mortgage pending the probate and sale of the property.
- Through litigation and settlement, recovered an additional million dollars for the blood relative heirs of a decedent, redistributed from the intestate share of the decedent’s spouse, who caused the decedent’s death by assault.
- Saved a decedent’s daughter from being completely disinherited, by challenging death bed changes to the decedent’s trust and life insurance on grounds of undue influence, in state and federal court litigation, obtaining a settlement of over two million dollars.
Real Estate Litigation
- Repeatedly obtained judgments enforcing real estate purchase contracts in actions for specific performance and successfully defended these judgments when appealed.
- Repeatedly obtained defense verdicts in actions to enforce real estate purchase contracts and business purchase contracts.
- Repeatedly obtained injunctions to stop foreclosure sales pending the litigation of relevant issues.
- Obtained judgment of nonsuit in an action for breach of alleged real estate partnership agreement.
- Obtained judgment of nonsuit in an action for rescission of contract.
- On tenant’s demand for a jury trial in a bitter dispute with his landlord, obtained unanimous jury verdict that tenant breached his commercial lease.
- Obtained a jury verdict for fraud in the sale of a dental office, including an award of damages against the real estate broker acting as dual agent in the transaction.
- For clients whose property was used without their knowledge to obtain a loan based on a forged deed, filed action for cancellation of deeds and obtained judgment removing lien and quieting title to client’s property though settlements and summary adjudication.
- Through litigation and extended settlement efforts, resolved real property issues for Hall of Fame athlete who was the victim of a real estate fraud.
Courts of Appeal
- After suffering a nonsuit ruling following the presentation of evidence in a jury trial, obtained appellate decision reversing the nonsuit ruling and returning the case for a new trial.
- Obtained reversal of a federal district court order sustaining a motion to dismiss, by appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
- Contributor to successful appeal and published opinion in Lu v. Grewal (2005) 130 Cal.App.4th 84.
- Oral advocacy acknowledged by Court of Appeal in McClain v. Octagon Plaza, LLC (2008) 159 Cal.App.4th 784, fn.3.
- Obtained order vacating Arizona judgment entered against client in California and successfully defended the ruling in a published opinion on appeal in Arizona v. Yuen (2009) 179 Cal.App.4th 169.
- Saved client’s home from a judicial sale by first bringing a motion to vacate renewal of judgment and then obtaining an appellate ruling reversing the trial court’s denial of the motion to vacate renewal of judgment.
- Saved client from a $4 million jury verdict by obtaining reversal of the verdict on appeal and entry of judgment in favor of client. Hear oral argument in the Court of Appeal:
Bankruptcy Court Litigation
- Tried fraud action in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Riverside and obtained judgment that individual’s personal obligation on business debt was not dischargeable.
- After prevailing in extended, contentious litigation, with multiple trials and appeals, obtained bankruptcy court order denying the opposing party’s bankruptcy discharge by proving post‑judgment scheme to hide assets.
- After obtaining jury verdict for intentional infliction of emotional distress, obtained summary judgment order denying bankruptcy discharge of the judgment, on grounds that the findings of the jury’s special verdict established proof of a non-dischargeable intentional tort.
- Saved children of a decedent from the complete loss of their mother’s lifetime retirement earnings, as beneficiaries, by prevailing in an administrative appeal hearing challenging oppressive actions by CalPERS.